Over years there has been an evolution of fingerprint technology. & The fingerprint technology which has been trending over the internet is The New and efficient Ultrasonic Fingerprint sensor.
In early times
We used to rely on PIN or long password until Motorola Atrix introduced First optical fingerprint sensor fully publicly in 2011,
And In 2013 Apple introduced more faster and more secured fingerprint unlocking system on the iPhone 5S, which uses the capacitive fingerprint scanner
One common thing about both types of the above sensor is the 2d mapping of ridges and pores of the fingerprint.
& Now in December 2018,
Qualcomm announced its 3D ultrasonic in-display fingerprint sensor. It creates a 3D image of fingerprint making it very secure & and is capable of storing more in-depth data.
A quick comparison of all Fingerprint technology:
As the Optical or capacitive fingerprint technology use light or electronic pulses to create a 2D blueprint of your finger.
The Capacitive fingerprint scanner works better than that of optical, it is faster & It is not easy to fool the scanner, As it uses an electric pulse.
The Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is best among all, in term of accuracy.
- It has an error rate of 1%,
- can operate through thin materials, such as plastic, glass, or aluminum.
- Scan through up to 800 µm of glass and up to 650 µm of aluminum.work through dirt, grime, water or even oil. since sound waves can travel through them all.
In term of speed, The optical fingerprint sensor is slowest among others,
while the Capacitive fingerprint sensor is a bit faster than Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor,
As per Qualcomm, the Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor has about 250-millisecond latency for unlocking,
which is roughly equivalent to the capacitive fingerprint sensor.
the capacitive scanner uses capacitors. which can store electrical charge,
The Optical finger sensor uses arrays of LEDs as a flash to light up the picture
Nowadays, the Optical fingerprint is also used as In-display fingerprint sensors, in many mobiles like oneplus 6t, vivo,Nokia…
How Safe and Secure is different fingerprint technology:
- It uses high-frequency ultrasonic sound to create 3D image, making it highly secure.
- A machine learning algorithm is also used to detect the differences between real fingerprints and forged 3D replicas.
- It features Cryptographic Accelerators, Key Provisioning Security, and a Trusted Execution Environment. Which prevent third-party applications from accessing the fingerprint details.
More Advantage of Ultrasonic Fingerprint
- Latest Snapdragon 855 processor
- Qualcomm has Also included the Fast Identity Online (FIDO) Alliance protocols,
- facilitates the use of biometrics online for digital payments. without transferring the data to the cloud or other servers, which makes it more secure than other fingerprint sensors.
In Display or Under Display fingerprint sensor
Till now, only Samsung has been using the latest Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor in its Galaxy S10& S10+.
Smart Phones using In-display Fingerprint Sensors based on Optical scanner:
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Vivo Apex 2019
Xiaomi Mi 9…